Saturday, 25. May 2013 - 11:05
02. 07. 12. - 17:00
A 23-year old woman had to be resuscitated after collapsing with carbon monoxide poisoning in her Vienna apartment on Sunday afternoon.
A friend found the woman unconscious when he came to her apartment.
Rescuers were able to resuscitate the woman before taking her to hospital. She is in a life threatening condition in hospital.
Police claim the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning was a faulty boiler and the extreme temperatures in Vienna on Sunday. The high temperatures in the apartment are thought to have put the gas boiler under pressure.
Firemen carried out safety checks on the other apartments in the building to check the carbon monoxide levels.
A day previously a further four people were taken to Vienna’s hospitals with suspected carbon monoxide poisonings.
Two women aged 33 and 52 called for help complaining of dizziness and extreme headaches and just a few hours’ later two sisters aged 36 and 37 called for help with similar symptoms in another part of Vienna.
In both cases a faulty gas boiler was to blame.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, weakness, confusion sickness and chest pain.
Police warn that people should regularly air apartments in the heat.
Birth balance negative once again
The birth balance of 2012 has been negative for the first time in three years. This was due to an increase in deaths. Another trend is that women give birth to their first child when they are older.
Suspected fraud in community flats sector
Five recently renovated community flats are being taken apart again. The state-housing organisation "Wiener Wohnen" is examining whether the renovation works have been carried out properly.
Long Night of the Churches tonight
The programme of "Long Night of the Churches" offers hundreds of events in Vienna alone. It partly focuses on the topic of asylum. The question whether aliens go to heaven will also be discussed.
Army officer sentenced over getting recruits to lay flooring at his house
The state court of Vienna sentenced a second lieutenant of the Austrian Army to nine months in jail due to misuse of authority. He had three recruits lay the flooring in his own house.
Child injured on zebra crossing
A ten-year-old girl was severely injured in a car accident in Vienna-Margareten yesterday (Wed). A car hit her on a zebra crossing. It remained unclear whether the girl or the driver was supposed to wait.
Long Night of the Churches
Hundreds of churches Austria-wide to open their doors for the "Long Night of the Churches" (original: "Langen Nacht der Kirchen") on May, 24.
Cheapskate Tourist Almost Died In Sewer Visit
A German tourist had a lucky escape after he decided to go underground to get a view of the Vienna sewers, and fell badly breaking several bones including his hip and his leg.
Preparation for Life Ball begins
The preparations of the Life Ball in Vienna are at full blast after delays due to bad weather last weekend. Star guests like Eva Longoria and Carmen Electra are expected at Vienna Airport on Friday.
Woman killed by Vienna tram
A female pedestrian tried to cross a street in Vienna Hietzing yesterday afternoon (Tues) without paying attention to the traffic. She was hit by the tram number 60 and died at the scene.
15 minutes free parking instead of 10
The 15-minute parking ticket will replace the 10-minute parking ticket in autumn. The only alternative is to buy your parking ticket with your phone. A parking clock does not protect you from a fine.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Huge debate over multilingualism in Austria|
|Cheapskate Tourist Almost Died In Sewer Visit|
|Third man accident leaves man in hospital|
|Woman killed by Vienna tram|
|Charity seeks funds to restore Jewish cemetery|